Early assessment by a speech and language therapist is important because:
- Whatever the outcome, assessment of your child’s situation is the best way to find out what you and other people can do to help.
- It’s never too early to help a child’s speech and language development.
- If your child has difficulty learning first words or getting started in language development, there are important pre-speech skills to learn that you may need professional help to understand or encourage.
- If your child does need help, then it’s likely it will take some time for action to be taken and resources to be put in place.
- Identifying difficulty and finding ways to encourage your child’s development reduces frustration, and may help your family to avoid temper tantrums associated with a communication difficulty.
A Pre-School assessment lasts between 60-90 minutes and can consist of any or all communication areas stated below:
- Language – Understanding & Use
- Speech Perception
Assessments can be formal, informal or a combination of the two